The Holt High School Band was founded in 1929 in a joint effort between Holt Schools and the Frank Holton Company, musical instrument manufacturers out of Elkhorn, Wisconsin. Early on, the band was led by Lansing music instructors Charles Spears and Frank C. Perne, who provided private instruction to interested students. The Holt Band got its first faculty director in Miss Alberta Phillips in 1930. Miss Phillips also directed the Holt High School Orchestra during its existence in 1926-1931. Over the decades the band grew and developed into one of the finest in the area, receiving high ratings at Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association (MSBOA) festivals. The first uniformed marching band was introduced in 1936 under the direction of superintendent of schools and music instructor Mr. Stuart Openlander.
The band yielded an all-original fight song in 1938 and alma mater in 1941, both written by students. Longtime director Mr. Gerald Winters came to Holt in 1952 and remained for more than 30 years. He was succeeded by Mr. Mike McMurtrey, and subsequently by Mr. Tim Parry. In 1991, Parry brought the popular annual light show to life for the first time. Current director Mr. Mike Emerson has led Holt Bands since 2005. The Holt Ram Marching Band introduced a new set of uniforms in Fall 2021, marking the sixth set of uniforms and first new uniforms since 1994.
Holt-Delhi Historical Society, holthistory.org.