Holt's First Firetruck

Holt History

Celebrating 100 Years of Our Fire Department

The Holt Fire Department was founded on February 14, 1924, as an all-volunteer unit headed up by Chief George Shaw. An REO Speed Wagon truck was fitted with a tank and hose apparatus, followed by helmets, goggles, and gloves in 1925. The community fire siren was sounded daily at noon (as part of an agreement with the original salesman) until 1995.

While the original fire barn was located with the Delhi Township Hall on Cedar Street (burned in 2022), an updated Fire Hall was built in 1959 further north on Cedar Street— which is now occupied by the Holt Farmers’ Market. The fire department moved into the Delhi Township Community Services Center in 1996. Eight fire chiefs have served Holt in the last century, the longest serving was Clayton Quenby from 1939 to 1966. Chief Stanley Morrison, 1971-1993, became the first full time chief in 1978.

You can learn all about Holt’s History at the new website holtdelhihistory.org!